5.17.2005

Turnout: 13%

What in the world is wrong, people? As a community, we chould be ashamed of the incredibly low voter turnout for the school board elections. In Washington County the turnout was only 13%.

There is something wrong when only one in eight registered voters can be bothered to vote in a vote-by-mail election that impacts our public schools. 45% of the state budget goes to K-12 education, and that is a significant chunk of our tax dollars. Yet we don't seem to pay any attention to the election for the people who are managing those funds.

1 Comments:

At 2:00 AM, Blogger xj said...

Hmmm, shouldn't come as too much of a surprise - first off, what REAL information do we ever get about candidates? Just some hyperbole in the Voter's Guide - rarely do we get answers to the questions in our minds unless we are active in the schools. I don't have (or want) children. I also know that I'm not welcome at Hillsboro Schools because I walk with a dog (look at the signs) -- I hate to say it, but WashCo/Hillsboro voters don't support things I care about, why should I support things they care about (like their schools)? Just kidding, kind of, I do care about the schools, but if the people with children don't reach out to the broader community AND vote to fund their children's education, why should people like me do their work for them?!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home