5.06.2005

On the radio

I was a guest on the The Jayne Carroll Show on AM-1360 KUIK yesterday, when Tom Cox was guest hosting. It was an interesting segment, I think.

I got to talk about the reasons why I am running, but a couple of times the segment took some serious detour. The first one came when I mentioned the older gentlemen that I met a few days ago when I was canvassing in North Plain, who asked me about my position on the second amendment. I asked if he meant he wanted to see more guns in schools, but he was more interested in the hanting and fishing aspects. We had a good conversation about the benefits of preserving the environment for the next generations.

But I digress.

I should have known better than to mention the second amendment in an interview with a libertarian. Tom Cox started talking about concealed guns and terrorism in Israel, for a significant part of the segment.

At one point Tom mentioned that we only spend 50% of each school dollar in the classroom. I tried to make the point that while I am all in favor of spending our money in ways that benefit the student's education, the other 50% is mostly stuff that people really care about, and they would be up in arms if we were to propose cutting them. Like busing, or school cafeterias. After all, we are in the business of educating children, we are not public transit and we are not a food enterprise, right? And no, I am not in favor of eliminating busing and cafeterias, I was just trying to make a point.

It's like the discussion that I had with more than one person during the past few weeks about the excessive amount of money that, in their opinion, we spend on school administrators. I make the point that we have probably 40 people in the district that are considered administrators according to the Oregon Revised Statutes. And I mention that 80% of them are school principals, and more than half of the total are elementary school principals. But people like principals, it's just those evil "administrators" that they don't like. Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home